S3 EP5: TOM PARKER BOWLES - show notes
To listen to this episode, click here.
S3 EP5: TOM PARKER BOWLES - summary
Olly sat down with Tom at the Groucho Club in Soho to share a glass of rosé and chat about fine, wine and life. What else is there?
S3 EP5: TOM PARKER BOWLES - timeline
- 02:35 - bottle variation is when different bottles of the same wine have different taste characteristics, and it can be more prevalent in natural wine
- 03:06 - Tom brings a bottle of Le Grand Cros, Rosé 2017 Côtes de Provence. The price is £13.95 per bottle.
- 04:40 - Bacchus is one of England's best native grape varieties for still wines
- 06:18 - Olly and Tom discuss the Austrian grape varieties Grüner Veltliner, Riesling and Blaufränkisch.
- 06:34 - Tom's grandfather was Bruce Shand, a partner in the wine merchant Block, Grey and Block.
- 07:02 - Tom's grandfather gave him 25 cases of Château Léoville Barton and 25 cases of Château Léoville Poyferré, both from the legendary 1982 vintage.
- 07:48 - Anthony Barton is the proprietor of Château Léoville Barton
- 08:31 - Tom has written seven books - find out about them here.
- 08:57 - Tom mentions caponata, a classic Sicilian dish
- 09:28 - Tom mentions Prue Leith and Lloyd Grossman as two personalities who have tried to improve hospital food
- 12:03 - Malibu and pineapple was Olly's signature drink, succeeded by Tennent's tops.
- 16:04 - Olly and Tom were both born in 1974
- 16:30 - Chef Fergus Henderson apparently has a glass of Madeira every day at 11 o'clock
- 16:40 - Sercial is a dry style of Madeira - Olly recommends it with Comté cheese
- 16:55 - Olly mentions Verdelho, another style of Madeira, which reminds him of marmalade
- 17:08 - Blandy's is one of the main Madeira producer
- 17:56 - Canteiro is an integral part of the modern Madeira production process
- 18:14 - As an oxidised style of wine, Madeira remains the same even once opened
- 18:45 - Tom asks Olly about the Coravin, a revolutionary wine preservation device
- 19:59 - Olly mentions Delord armagnac, and the online retailer Brandy Classics
- 23:40 - Olly and Tom both love Scampi flavoured fries.
- 24:08 - Olly give Tom a bottle of Gonzalez Byass, Matusalem Dulce Oloroso NV sherry. The average price is £34 per bottle.
24:27 - Roger Moore has signed a barrel at the Gonzalez Byass bodega