S1 EP5: STUART BROAD - show notes
To listen to this episode, click here.
S1 EP5: STUART BROAD - summary
England cricketer Stuart Broad met with Olly in his Leicestershire pub to talk about wine, cricket, touring the world, psychology, and lifelong ambitions. Just the little things then!
S1 EP5: STUART BROAD - timeline
- 02:29 - Chris Broad, Stuart's father, is a former England international cricketer and now umpire
- 02:24 - Waitrose is a British supermarket chain that sponsor the England cricket team
- 03:38 - Stuart toured the Indian sub-continent with the England cricket team between 6 October and 23 December 2016 - nearly 11 weeks!
- 03:59 - Joe Root is one of Stuart's England cricket team-mates
- 04:10 - Sula is a winery in the Nashik region of India
- 05:59 - Mud House Sauvignon Blanc is from Marlborough in New Zealand, and the average price is £10 per bottle
- 06:06 - Graham Gooch is a former England cricketer
- 06:45 - Kevin Judd is a New Zealand winemaker, who made one of Marlborough's most famous wines, Cloudy Bay, for many years
- 07:03 - Lords is a London cricket ground known as the home of cricket, and Ben Glover is a winemaker who makes Mud House wines, among others
- 07:42 - 'Ashes winner' refers to cricket matches held between Australia and England. Stuart's father was part of an England Ashes-winning team.
- 08:12 - Matt Prior is an English cricketer who accidentally broke a window at Lords in 2011
- 08:50 - Stuart Broad was made a Member of the British Empire on 10 February 2017
- 09:04 - Tottenham Hotspur is a premier league English football team
- 09:47 - 'Cookie' is Alistair Cook, the former English cricket captain
- 10:23 - Rioja is a Spanish wine, usually red (but can be white or rosé) which is often paired with lamb
- 10:32 - Berry Brothers & Rudd is a traditional British wine merchant in central London
- 10:45 - Hardys is an Australian wine producer who sponsored the Ashes series in 2015 - here's one of their idents, featuring Stuart:
- 14:04 - 'Swanny' is Graham Swann, a recently retired England cricketer
- 15:00 - Joe Root 'The Yorkshire Snipper' and James Anderson are two more of Stuart's England cricket team-mates
- 15:15 - the white rose is the emblem of Lancashire, while a red rose is the emblem of arch-rivals Yorkshire
- 15:21 - Ottis Gibson is a bowling coach for the England cricket team
- 16:08 - Neil Fairbrother represents Stuart for International Sports Management
- 17:26 - Ian Botham, Ian Ward and Nasser Hussain are all former England cricketers
- 18:16 - this episode is dedicated to two charities: The Broad Appeal and Rocking Horse
- 19:32 - Jonathan Agnew is a former England cricketer and commentator
- 19:54 - Malbec and Torrontés are two grape varieties which Argentina is renowned for
- 21:03 - Olly was filming at Peterborough Cathedral
- 31:30 - Kyperounda is a winery in Cyprus
- 32:06 - The Broad Appeal is Stuart's family charity to raise funds and awareness for Motor Neurone Disease.
- 33:04 - Joost van der Westhuizen was a South African rugby player who died of Motor Neurone Disease on 6 February 2017
- 33:30 - find out more about The Broad Appeal golf day at The Belfry here
- 36:08 - Olly gives Stuart a bottle of Dr H Thanisch, Berncasteler Doctor Riesling spätlese 2010 from the Mosel valley in Germany. The average price is £39 per bottle.
S1 EP5: STUART BROAD - production notes
- Recorded on 9 February 2017 at The Three Crowns in Wymeswold, Leicestershire
- Hosted by Olly Smith
- Produced and edited by Richard Hemming MW
- Mastered by David Thomas
- Hardware list: 2 x AT-2020 condenser microphones with pop shields, Zoom H6 digital recorder, ATH-M20X headphones
- Software list: Audacity 2.1.3, Garageband 10.1.6, Wavelab LE8