S1 EP3: MICK HUCKNALL - show notes
To listen to this episode, click here.
S1 EP3: MICK HUCKNALL - summary
Olly chats to Mick about his career as frontman of Simply Red as well as his love of wine, which included making his own wine in Sicily as well as a brilliant anecdote about the late Omar Sharif.
S1 EP3: MICK HUCKNALL - timeline
- 03:41 - Mick was born in Manchester, England on 8 June 1960
- 04:24 - a corked wine is one which is infected with TCA
- 05:29 - Eric Hereema is the owner and Chief Executive of English wine producer Nyetimber
- 05:56 - the 2012 vintage in England was terrible, with many producers harvesting no grapes at all
- 06:10 - hail is a perennial threat to the vineyards of Burgundy, and it was particularly damaging in 2016
- 06:22 - Mick grew grapes on the slopes of Mount Etna in Sicily
- 07:18 - Claret is a British term for red Bordeaux wine, Mateus is a Portuguese rosé and Hock is a German white wine.
- 07:34 - Oddbins and Majestic are two major British wine retailers
- 07:58 - Margaret River is a designated geographical indication for a wine-growing region in Western Australia
- 08:14 - Peter Gago is the chief winemaker at Penfolds (who P!nk also mentions in S1 EP1!)
- 08:26 - Grange is Penfolds' top red wine, and 1962 was a great vintage. The average price is £2,069 per bottle!
- 09:37 - champagne is generally very high in acidity
- 09:45 - Mick mentions three white wines he enjoys as ab aperitif: Riesling, Albariño and Vinho Verde
- 10:29 - 'second and third growths' are red wines from Bordeaux that were classified in 1855
- 11:29 - modern-style Barolo wine tends to be less tannic (and therefore drying)
- 12:09 - 'first-growth Bordeaux prices' refers to the most expensive wines of Bordeaux, which can reach thousands of pounds per bottle
- 12:40 - Petrus is one the world's most expensive wines, from St-Émilion in Bordeaux
- 13:10 - blind tastings are when you assess a wine without knowing anything about its origin, grape variety, vintage or producer
- 13:15 - Don Melchor and Seña are two of Chile's top red wines.
- 14:22 - Château La Conseillante is a red wine from Pomerol in Bordeaux. The average price for the 1995 vintage is £124 per bottle
- 15:00 - Château Latour is one of the first growths of Bordeaux
- 15:56 - Riesling is a white grape variety that originates from Germany
- 18:17 - Château Le Pin is a top red Bordeaux from Pomerol
- 18:21 - Château d'Yquem is one of the world's best sweet wines, from Sauternes in Bordeaux
- 19:04 - Omar Sharif is an Egyptian actor famous for his roles in Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago
- 19:36 - a vertical is a wine tasting of the same wine across different vintages
- 19:45 - Jancis Robinson OBE is a British Master of Wine and wine writer. She made a short video of the Paris Penfolds tasting: