S1 EP1: P!NK - show notes
To listen to this episode, click here.
S1 EP1: P!NK - summary
Singer / songwriter P!nk talks to Olly Smith about her love of wine, and exclusively reveals that she has been making her own wine in California for four years. They discuss what grape varieties she grows, her favourite wines, her life on tour and what she would take with her to a desert island ...
S1 EP1: P!NK - timeline
- 04:35 - P!nk was on The Truth About Love tour
- 04:44 - Funhouse is the title track from P!nk's 2008 album
- 05:06 - P!nk took online courses with WSET - the Wine & Spirit Education Trust
- 07:45 - pruning is an annual task necessary to keep a vineyard productive and healthy
- 09:25 - P!nk now has 25 acres (10 hectares) of vines, planted with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, Malbec, Grenache, Grenache Blanc
- 10:07 - grafting is when you grow a new variety from an existing vine root
- 11:11 - soil testing a vineyard is a vital part of determining wine style and quality. It's an element of what is known as terroir.
- 11:30 - yield measures how much weight of grapes is produced from a given area of vineyard, and it's another important element influencing the style and quality of wine
- P!nk wanted to grow three tonnes per acre in one area and six tonnes per acres in another - but because of drought conditions, they only got 0.4 tonnes per acre and two tonnes per acre, respectively
- 12:00 - one standard barrel, known as a barrique, holds 225 litres of wine, which equals 300 standard 75 cl bottles.
- 12:46 - Australia is the world's fifth-biggest producer of wine
- 12:57 - Peter Gago is the chief winemaker for Penfolds (find out more about him in S1 EP3)
- 13:38 - Château Cheval Blanc is a Premier Grand Cru Classé "A" wine producer in St-Émilion, Bordeaux, with an average price of £522 per bottle
- 14:11 - Charlie Foucault was co-owner of Clos Rougeard, a winery in the Saumur-Champigny region of the Loire Valley, France
- 15:59 - Los Olivos, CA
- 18:17 - Alsace is a wine region in eastern France; Auxerrois is a grape variety
- 19:05 - Jamie McCartney is the artist who made The Great Wall Of Vagina
- 19:50 - P!nk's son Jameson Moon was born on 26 December 2016
- 20:59 - P!nk is headlining the V Festival in England on 19 and 20 August 2017
- 21:30 - P!nk made her original rider when she was 20 years old:
- 31:01 - 'sampling clusters' means analysing bunches of grapes to check their ripeness close to harvest
- 32:07 - Two of P!nk's desert island discs would be Bob Marley's Redemption Song and John Lennon's Imagine: